Tuesday 8 January 2013

(1) From my archive...

I remember talking to my friend Amal Salah Delawi, on the 13th or 14th of Feb, 2011, where she was telling me that something big is going to happen on the 17th, a thing that will follow in the footsteps of both Egypt and Tunis... and I still remember, 12 months later, that my response to those words were a scoff and a laugh!

Little did I know that my scoffing and laughing would soon be replaced with a cocktail of emotions, to include tears of saddness and joy; fear for not my life, but for that of my loved ones; immense love for my Libyan brothers and sisters that could not be contained in that tiny organ called heart; and most important of all, a new found pride, of being Libyan.

I am sad to say that, today, on the anniversary of 17 of February, I feel somewhat indifferent.

Some are celebrating our freedom with antiaircarft artiliary and K45.

Some force people to buy Independece flags and mount them on their cars; if you don't oblige, you are a 'ta7looba kbeera'.

Some are exploiting their 'kateeba' cars to cut through traffic and never stop in a red light.

Some use 'Allahu Akbar' to chat up women.

Some now think they can judge you from the simple question of 'which city are you from?'

And note that I say 'some', because now I am more realistic to what 17 of February gave birth to, and it is Hope. The Hope for a new fresh Libya, free of the Gaddafi stigma and filled with tolerance and love.

{إِنَّ اللَّهَ لا يُغَيِّرُ مَا بِقَوْمٍ حَتَّى يُغَيِّرُوا مَا بِأَنفُسِهِمْ}

No comments:

Post a Comment